Navigation - Back to:

..


Ed Moran's Storch Project started with the following email on the 28th of October 2003...

Dear Sirs, I have a Slepcev Storch and I would like put your engine in it. Do you make an engine mount for this plane? Please e-mail me with any related information including price, Thanks Ed Moran

As usual Click on the Thumbnail to view Full Size...

Progress has been rapid in constructing a collector ring ...

parts... ... ... tack welding.. ...

then building the oil lubrication system the pics show the parts including oil-air separator ....

parts ... .air separator.final result.

Mounting the engine... and running it ...

... ...

This is what Ed Writes on 7th May 2004: Paul,got the engine running today,prop turned maybe 20 degrees before firing up,oil pressure came almost instantly. I then shut it down to make sure all cylinders were firing, by feeling the cyl. heads and the exhaust headers. Also checked oil circulation. Wow ! what a sweet sound it makes. Also engine is mechanically quiet, I am happy as a pig in poop. Will get back to you soon. Ed

I must say we never get tired of hearing customers first impressions of the engine just after they fire her up for the first time! Gives us all a good feeling. Well done Ed! From all of us at Rotec.

26th June 2004: Just about ready to take to the skies... ... ...

19th November 2004 Ed Writes: Jim,

Sorry I haven't reported lately but have been busy as usual.

I am satisfied that my oil tank and that the lubricating system is OK. I can run the engine,taxi,etc., and when I shut the engine down the oil level in the oil tank is where it should be.

I made an auxillary return pump by using the rotors from a 350 Chevy, making the housing from 2024 aluminum to bolt in-line with a 12volt 3inch motor. I turn the pump on while I am taxiing, in doing it that way there is no excessive oil buildup in the engine. I suppose I am being a bit odd about this, but, I've had many unpleasant experiences with wet-sumping in BSA motorcycles in the mid 60's during which time I was a factory rider and lost three very important national races. The oil buildup caused the engine to lose so much power as to make it no longer competitive; not to mention the dangers associated with oil spilled over the track!

Anyway that is no longer a problem with the mods I have made.

I also put two drain valves in the inlet tubes [I have met and talked with the guy with the autogyro at Oshkosh]. I will keep you posted on anything new. Ed

Keep up the good work and we'll be looking for progress reports...